Thursday, November 19, 2009

Another Kidney Stone Victim

Well, I have been MIA from my blog and for good reason, I had a terrible experience with a kidney stone. It all started on Monday. I went for my pre-employment physical and the nurse said "your heart rate is a little high and your temperature is up. Are you getting sick?" And I thought no, I feel fine and the rest of that day I did but on Tuesday I was at work and just not feeling right. Can't really put my finger on what was bothering me but I felt off. I had a couple of patients to see that morning and I dropped off a pack n play to my first one and after that visit I started noticing some pain in my back. I thought maybe I had pulled a back muscle maneuvering that pack n play. By lunch time the pain was starting to get bad so I canceled on my next patient and went back to the office. My coworker, Peggy, who is just the best sat with me while I tried to stretch my back out on the birth ball we have in our office. I took a couple of Tramadol pills (pain pills that I have for my migraines) and hoped that it would take the back pain away. Well, it helped and I made it through the rest of the day at the office.
When I got home that night, I noticed that I was having a weird feeling when I tried to go to the bathroom and instantly the thought popped into my head that I probably had a UTI since that could explain the back pain and the urination problem. So off I go to Publix to pick up some AZO pills and I tell myself I'll call Dr. French in the morning and get some antibiotics. Well, no longer than about an hour after I got home, the back pain became excruciating. I was bent over crying and I told Duane that I had to go to the ER because this was not right. So, he calls my dad and asks him to watch the kids while he takes me to WF ER. I remember telling my dad, we'll be back soon cause it's probably just a UTI *LOL* Oh how stupid was I?
So we get to the ER and now I can barely walk and I'm just crying. Of course, the damn place is packed with idiots who don't know what an ER is really supposed to be used for. I have to vent here because this is such a pet peeve of mine...DO NOT use the ER as your primary care physician. There were people there just laughing a joking around. Can you seriously be in need of emergency care when you're goofing around with your buddies waiting to see a doctor?!?!? This is why the people who truly need to be seen have to wait so damn long but I digress. There was another little gal (appeared to be a teenager) that I did feel sorry for. She and I were the only 2 people screaming and crying in the waiting room. Apparently, she had fallen while playing volleyball and hurt her ankle. I felt bad for her even through my own pain but we were both just having to sit there waiting our turn.
I couldn't get comfortable in my seat. I kept standing up and walking and then sitting down, crying and holding my back. Then all the sudden I started sweating profusely and this is in a hospital that everyone is wearing jackets because it's so cold. Then I felt faint and I sat down and looked at my husband and knew I needed a bucket like now. So that's when the vomiting started. Just a side note about vomiting. It's like I can't do it since being banded. I kept throwing up but it wasn't stomach contents, it was tons and tons of saliva. Weird, huh? So this goes on and on for over 2 hours while I wait to be taken back. Finally, they call my name and by now I am just moaning, groaning, screaming, yelling. etc. Let me just tell you that I had my first daughter with pitocin and no epidural and this pain was equal if not worse than that. I hope to never go through something like that again.
It was taking so long for the nurse or doctor to see me and I was being so mean to my husband. I kept yelling at him to get the nurse and tell her that I am dying. I need something for the pain right now. My poor husband would open the door and try to tell them that his wife was in an insane amount of pain. Finally, Dr. Gonzales (who is fantastic btw) passes by the room and he says, "honey, I think you have a kidney stone and I'm gonna get you something for the pain, just give me 1 minute." So, my nurse, Tiffany, comes in and starts my IV and gives me some medicine. It took about 20 minutes but finally the pain was gone. OMG, I felt like a different person. I apologized to everyone I had yelled at. I went to CT and they confirmed that I had a stone. It was blocking off my ureter and the urine and blood was backed up. It was almost to my bladder which is a good thing because that's apparently when the pain subsides. Dr. Gonzales said the stone was about 4 mm in size. He said I would be able to pass it on my own but I needed to follow up with a specialist. They gave me more fluids, some prescriptions for pain meds, and I was finally able to go home at about 5 am.
I've been at home for the last 2 days in a coma almost. I ended up sleeping for what seems like an entire day. Every time I got to the bathroom, I have to strain my pee. You're supposed to try and catch the stone so it can be analyzed by the urologist because certain foods can cause stones. I have to admit that I'm pretty sure the band contributed to the stone. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the urologist says. I feel terrible not in pain or anything but just washed out and depressed because my energy is down and I've been missing work and just gross because I've laid out on the couch for 2 days. UGH. I feel so bad because now I know what Bandita was going through. It's just horrible. I haven't passed the stone and I am thinking mine might have broken up into tiny fragments because I've been straining my urine for 2 days and nothing. I keep debating whether I should go into work tomorrow or just give myself the rest of the weekend to get better. I'm going to call the urologist and see about my appointment now. It might take me awhile but I plan to catch up on all the blogging I missed and if you made it through this whole post, Bless you!


Mary said...

OMG! Im so sorry...I hope that you are feeling better and back to 100% soon!!!! Im glad you got your new job and I hope you got some sort of laugh out of my stupidness yesterday LOL it was one of those days! Let me know if you need anything!!!!!! FIND ME ON FB, So I can keep up with you and make sure you are doing ok! feel better and get some more rest!!!!

SuperMegaAnna said...

I am so so sorry. That sounds horrible. I know what you mean about the ER and being miserable and then seeing people who are not. Feel better!


Bandita Senorita said...

Amen and amen about the folks in the ER without emergencies. I would've killed someone had I waited there a minute longer (and had I the ability). I could not make it to the bathroom to throw up but was glad I couldn't because I wanted everyone to know I was in pain--wearing my badge of being a true ER patient who needed to get the heck out of pain. Whatever drugs they gave me when I finally got a bed were heavenly though.

They told me (the urologist and the nurse practitioner at his office) that my stone was related to the band and that they see that a lot.

As far as passing it, I've heard that it takes most people 3 days to a couple months to pass them. Mine didn't come for 20 days, but, don't worry, that pain, which did increase as it came closer to it coming out and was REALLY annoying and catheterish (at least for me), was not nearly as bad as the passing of the stone from the kidney. You've gotten through the terrible, unbearable part. You should be able to work through most of the time it is taking to pass (you may need to take a day or two off though, depending on how bad the last few days are).

Bandita Senorita said...

I went out of town to a college football game the weekend before it passed and was really frustrated that whole weekend, a few days before, and the few days after until it passed (I didn't take any meds because of the band and because I didn't want to take the strong stuff and be asleep all day--whatever the doc gave me knocked me out completely). But I could still function for the most part even though it was highly annoying.

At any rate, I hope your situation is over and done with in a hurry (maybe you're one of those 3-day people). And, with any luck, neither of us will get another one!!!!

Bandita Senorita said...

Oh, and I don't know if I told you yet, but CONGRATS on the job!!!! YEA!!!!

Bandita Senorita said...

One more thing--sorry, I am so scattered here--drink lots of water. Lots and lots. Grape juice, cranberry juice, and lemonade are your friends right now too (even though they aren't really good weight wise). All those things help push Mr. Kidney Stone down the pipes.

Melly said...

Thanks so much for the information Bandita! Yesterday my pee had started to clear up and I was feeling a little bit better so this morning I went into work. Not sure if it was due to all the moving around, but the back pain started up again and I noticed when I went to the bathroom my urine had blood in it again. I ended up leaving work because of that damn gnawing back pain. I just can't get comfortable so here I am at home taking my pain meds. Not sure if this resurgence of pain and yucky urine means it's on the move again. I pray it doesn't take 20 days!! I go to see Dr. Sehkon (?) on Wednesday, have a KUB. and then meet with him to determine the cause of this whole thing. Not that I would wish this thing on my worst enemy but it makes me feel better to know someone's been through this whole thing and survived.

Thanks for all the well wishes ladies! It really has meant so much to me to see how many people out there care.

Well, I did some walking (hoping to push that bad boy out) and now I'm gonna lie down for awhile.

Thanks again!

Bandita Senorita said...

I know what you mean about someone else surviving it. :) I'll remember you next time I have one--and will probably need some more hand holding myself :). And yes, exercise--at a level you can tolerate--is supposed to be great for pushing it through.